I've recently been teaching a module on British culture to a group of mainly Asian students. At the end of the module, I gave the students the following quiz to test their knowledge.
I've recently been teaching a module on British culture to a group of mainly Asian students. At the end of the module, I gave the students the following quiz to test their knowledge. Here are the questions for your possible intererst. The answers are published here: https://knoji.com/british-culture-quiz-answers/.
1. Which ‘revolution’ transformed Britain in the Victorian period?
2. In which century did Britain build baths and wash-houses?
3. By what disparaging term were the working classes sometimes known in this period?
4. This is an historic pub in Oxford. Which famous writers drank here?
5. Cities became overcrowded in the Victorian period. What type of housing was built for the working classes?
6. Can you name a particular regional variant of this type of housing?
7. It’s often said that an Englishman’s home is his what?
8. Who was the leader of the Arts & Crafts Movement?
9. This is the first Arts & Crafts house. What is it called?
10. Who was the German scholar who praised English domestic architecture in his book Das Englische Haus?
11. In the 1920s, British architecture was influenced by a European movement. What was it called?
12. Who designed this building? He was also the principal of the school.
13. Some commentators have resisted international influence. Prince Charles published a book about traditional British architecture. What was it called?
14. British fashion has been influenced by tradition and heritage. What is the London Street famous for traditional tailoring?
15. In the post-war period, rising levels of affluence meant that for the first time the young generation had money to spend on items like music and fashion. What do we call this?
16. What is the London street associated with 1960s youth culture?
17. Who invented the mini-skirt?
18. Who is this model?
19. What is the name of this visual style associated with 60s youth culture?
20. Which British academic published Subculture: The Meaning of Style?
21. The Clash were associated with which subculture?
22. Which graphic designer created this?
23. Which fashion designer has parodied the British establishment?
24. The Great Exhibition was held in a purpose-built structure. What was it called?
25. Who designed it?
26. The British Empire was known as ‘the empire on which . . .’
27. Who designed the Gothic detail at the Houses of Parliament?
28. The Festival of Britain was held in which year?
29. What is the name of this structure?
30. The Festival Pattern Group was inspired by what source of imagery?